Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Do your civic duty!

Today is your last chance to Vote Jeremy!!!


This is your platform of promising not to run for reelection, right?


Exactly! I don't promise to lower taxes or raise benefits for retired veterans of roadkill removal or protect the country from the lingering threat of Bird Flu. My only campaign promise to you, the voting public, is that I will never call your house during dinner or post millions of ugly plastic signs everywhere, or waste the last year of my administration to get reelected...simply because I'm not going to try to get reelected. I will do my job for whatever term length is in whatever office you vote me into. If you elect me president, you will get 4 years of president, Senate is 6 years, House is 2 years (See, Mr. Hayden? I did learn something in your history class other than "Abe Lincoln stood six foot three." You'd have to know Mr. Hayden to get that joke, BTW).


So I understand you have another message for your future constituency.


Indeed I do. I have but one request as you all head out to your polling places to cast your ballot. Know something. Know anything...even if it's trivial, or if it's only one thing...but for the love of all things good and plenty, know SOMETHING. In your voting machine, you will have choices on a number of elections. If you've never heard of any of the people in any given election...don't vote in that election. Don't vote all democratic because you claim to be ion favour of democracy, or all republican because you like guns.

If you only vote because of somebody's stand on one single issue, that's fine. As long as you have an opinion. If you want to cancel out my vote for somebody because the other person likes something else you're in favour of, have at it. That's what we have democracy for. But don't cancel out my vote because somebody's name looks more appealing to you the very first time you ever lay eyes on it inside the ugly blue curtain.

3 comments:

Jeremy Dailey said...

Blue curtain? Here in the fine Commonwealth of Massachusetts (as blue as can be), we have paper ballots! A technology impervious to mechanical breakdown (save a broken pencil lead), electrical failure... the only failure it can't sustain is a human failure.

Jeff said...

I tried to write yo in but I now realize I misspelled it as "Jermy"!! Sorry

Willie Y said...

Wow, Abe Lincoln was six foot three.