Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Don't Be Next



Attention rodents:  Just keep going and I won’t run over you  


So, while he's been away and slacking off, Jeremy's been doing his best to control the rodent population in the Greater Jeremy Area.  Spoiler Alert: He still has a ways to go.


Another way to look at it is that in the last week, I've tripled my career body count of animals I've run over.  It's true, and maybe even a little surprising, that in all the time I've been operating vehicles up until about a week ago, I have managed to only (to my knowledge) kill one squirrel.  I actively try to not run over animals, partially out of my respect for nature, and partially out of a lack of desire to clean animal guts off my car.  The squirrel happened some time ago on the road leading down to my apartment complex.  It was at mildly traumatic for me, but admittedly more so for the squirrel.  At least the squirrel didn't have very long to think about it, as he was pretty well totaled in the blink of an eye.

Anyway...fast forward to a week ago, and my animal count went up by one in an unexpected and at least mildly impressive way.  I was riding my bike on a local linear park when up ahead, I see a chipmunk making his way across the trail.  He was at least 3/4 of the way across, in no danger whatsoever, when he notices me riding along.  Instead of continuing along his path, he freaks out, turns 180 degrees around and starts to run back where he came from...ultimately running right under my bike tire.  Minus one chipmunk.  

Two days ago, I was driving my car on a local road, when up ahead, I see a small woochuck making his way across the road.  He was at least 3/4 of the way across, in no danger whatsoever, when he notices me driving along.  Instead of continuing along his path, he freaks out, turns 180 degrees around and starts to run back where he came from...ultimately running right under my car tire.  Minus one woodchuck.  

So, it's clear the lesson to be learned here.  Stupid rodents running across paved paths should just keep going toward their destination.  They'll be perfectly fine.  It's only when they start to second guess themselves and turn around to run back that they get themselves in trouble.  


No comments: