Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Remember That Richard Pryor Movie?



Moving boxes are the perfect size to not be able to fit anything into  


So, it's Moving Day for Jeremy.  A day when he's going to be able to accomplish very little because he has to unpack all of his stuff into his new office because...I guess...confidential stuff or something.  


Like many workplaces, we protect our intellectual property, and on occasion, I generate some of it.  I also have sensitive personal information like supplier contact names and phone numbers that we would rather not have leak out to the general public.  It's pretty standard business practice these days, even if it's a little dated in the digital age.  

As such, we have a "clean desk" policy, which really only means that I can't leave any of this type of information out in the open office landscape when I leave my desk.  Since I leave my desk many times each day, this basically means all the time.  

So, when it comes time to pack up my entire office and schlep it to a new location, all of those boxes of random crap have to be put away before I can leave.  Technically...exceptions are probably made for moving day, but I'm not taking any chances.  All of my books, notebooks, papers, files, hockey pucks, cables, Oxford Commas, and assorted gubbins are locked safely behind flimsy file cabinet locks which can be picked by anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of how locks work.  Security!  

Anyway, the important thing to note here is just how many boxes it took to move all of my junk over here.  See, the boxes we were provided with were of a strange size.  They were big enough to hold most of my stuff, but not big enough to hold two of anything.  So, two stacks of file folders...two boxes.  Two plastic cases to hold tea bags, two boxes.  There was seemingly no good way to organize this stuff in the moving boxes to make moving at all efficient.  If they had given me smaller boxes, I still could have managed, but would have used more.  If the boxes were bigger, I could have consolidated.  As it was, I used more boxes than I thought would have been necessary for moving, and there was a non-optimized amount of empty space included.  There need to be better engineers involved in this whole moving process. 

No comments: