Thursday, February 18, 2016

Science! It Hurts, Sometimes



I like this fuzzy shirt I have because I can see the static electric sparks it makes  


You're not wearing a fuzzy shirt.  You have a pretty standard fare gray button-down.  Why are you lying to the nice people, Jeremy?  


Okay, so I'm not wearing that particular shirt at this very moment, but I wear it quite frequently at home.  It's soft and warm.  It also has the downside of being amazingly good at generating static electricity.  

This has its good and bad points.  

Another thing that I have which is noteworthy for static electricity is my couch.  Either of them, for that matter...they're both the same.  I've gotten into the habit of grounding myself to my computer case when I stand up, otherwise, I run the risk of an impressively powerful electric shock when I touch the light switch.  Here's a Fun Fact...a standard static electric spark that you get from a couch or scuffing your feet across the floor is around 4000-20,000 volts.  Anyway...combining my gray fuzzy shirt with my devious couch provides a nearly dangerous* amount of static electricity, which manifests itself in several ways.  

*It's not actually nearly dangerous.  The amount of charge is WAY too low to actually hurt anything, despite the high voltage

 So anyway, what's especially fun about this shirt is moving it around in the dark.  The shirt itself will actually discharge its static electricity to whatever happens to be nearby, which is usually my arm.  When it does, there is the tell-tale sparking sound, which sounds like somebody stepping on the world's most adorably tiny bubble wrap, and the sparks themselves.  If the room is dark enough, you can actually see my shirt lighting up like a really busy thunderstorm.  It's amazingly fun, and just makes me want to wear the shirt even more.  Even if it means zapping myself on the light switch all the frickin' time. 

No comments: