Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Accidental Rhyme Coming Up, Too


My actual quote: “The water’s getting warmer?  That’s not cool.”  I hate myself


It's not quite as bad as the time you told somebody to chill when you threw a snowball at them.


Every once in a while, phrases go poorly.  Hopefully, when it happens, it's at least mildly innocuous and doesn't do anybody any harm.  Such is the case with my latest tragedy of language.  Let's look back at the time I went to the water fountain...


Cue harp music.


So, my company a while back did away with traditional drinking fountains, replacing them with sensor-operated water purifiers which don't work particularly well with a translucent cup like the one my company gave out to all of its employees last year, but that's hardly worth mentioning.  I tend to drink a fair bit of water while I'm at my desk...it keeps my skin hydrated and youthful or something.  So, I know my way around the water fountain.  I should also mention a feature that the thing has: There's a timeout feature that prevents it from dispensing water non-stop in the event of a sensor malfunction.  Recently, I've noticed that the flow of water has slowed down to the point where my cup does not reach full water capacity before the timer stops the water.  So, I have to move the cup down and back up to re-trip the sensor to complete the fill-up.  This is a mild inconvenience, but is merely a symptom of the slowdown of the water flow, which leads me to spend more time filling my cup.   

Anyway, not long ago, a coworker was standing behind me in line for the water fountain.  It got a little weird, just standing there while the water slowly trickled in, so we started making small talk.  It devolved into a comment about how the water fountain has slowed down lately, so it's taking longer than usual for me to get out of the way.  My coworker informed me that the temperature of the water has gone up in recent days.  I hadn't noticed, but others apparently had.  My response was the ill-fated quote above.  It seemed like a perfectly acceptable and culturally relevant response, but in the end, the use of the word "cool" to describe something's change in temperature made me feel really stupid about myself. 

I shall endeavor to do better in the future.

No comments: