Monday, February 8, 2016

I'll Just Put The Phone Down



Even telemarketers get bored of calling me   


Actually, Jeremy...just about everyone gets bored with talking to you.  Be more interesting.  


So, if you're like me, you get a nearly endless stream of telemarketers calling your phones.  Since I'm on every Do-Not-Call list I'm aware of, most of the calls I get to my cell phone aren't telemarketers, per se, but scam phone calls and those things that hang up on you so that you call them back and they're technically not breaking any laws at that point.  My office phone is apparently not subject to any of these Do-Not-Call regulations, and I'm not sure why.  

Now, the vast majority of the telemarketing calls I get to my office phone are scams about car warranties.  Various companies who remain nameless and simply refer to themselves as "The Warranty Group" or "The Automotive Division" in order to mask the fact that they have no affiliation with anyone I've ever done business with, call me and tell me that my car's warranty is about to expire and that I need to get a new one from them so that I can save loads and loads of money.  Leave alone the fact that my car's warranty is not about to expire, and has actually recently been extended by the manufacturer for reasons that I may have alluded to here on the Blag.  

These calls I get from them rarely last very long.

On occasion, I will let one telemarketer ramble on for a bit before berating them for calling me at work with a scam warranty offer that they have no business calling me about.  Once in a while, I ask how they got my office number because it's not the one I put on any of my official paperwork at the car dealer.  Usually, though, the instant I recognize the fact that I'm being called with a warranty scam, I sigh, hang up my phone, and go back to how life was before my phone rang.  

So recently, I answered the office phone to the standard robocall thing where it waits until you answer to connect you to an operator, so there's a noticeable pause between "Hello?" and "Hi, may I speak to....?"  Well, when I did that the guy asked if I was me, and I offered that I was speaking.  He then without a word just starts carrying on a conversation with somebody else in his little scam robocall office.  I actually felt a little offended that wasting my time wasn't even worth that guy's...especially when that guy's time is his actual job.  I clearly need to step up my telemarketer blow-off game. 

No comments: