Tuesday, June 16, 2015

This Will Be Tedious



Without this Sametime Status, you would have spelled the word “Rigmarole” incorrectly


I don't know about that.  There's probably a better than average chance I wouldn't have tried to spell it at all.  


Well, therein lies the problem.  It's one of those words that's not used enough, and I think that's at least partially because people don't know how to spell it.  Quite frankly, people aren't entirely clear on how to pronounce it either, but that's nothing new.  

So, recently, in a work email, I was sent this word...although at the time, it was two words.  The author used the phrase "rigor maroll" to detail the steps involved in a project.  The author clearly meant rigmarole, but had no clue what it was he was actually saying.  It's okay with more complicated and less frequently used words such as rigmarole, but it's a problem that I see almost all of the time, usually in the comment sections of web pages. 

I should look at web page comment sections less, but that's beside the point entirely.  

I actually had to look up the word "rigmarole" once I had deciphered the email, and couldn't quite figure out for myself how to spell the word.  I thought there was an extra syllable in there, as if there should have been another "a" after the "g" or something.  That would probably involve putting in an extra "g" (no relation to my old calculus teacher's famous phrase "Hit it with the g function" which would be a great name for an album).  So I was incorrect.  As would you have been before I came along to help you.  You're welcome! 

No comments: