Thursday, June 18, 2015

I Can't Do That, Dave



It’s Software Update Day!  My computer will be useless for most of the day  


Unfortunately for all of us, it's operational long enough for you to post here.  


I think you mean "fortunately."  

Anyway, it's an exciting day here in Jeremy's Office, where a giant pile of software updates that I've been putting off because I don't have time to constantly reboot my computer finally reach a critical mass and the computer forces me to do them.  I'm not entirely sure what the trigger is, but every now and again, the thing will pop a window open which will not close until I schedule an update.  At that point, it's in my best interests to shoot an entire day in the posterior doing all of my software updates.  

Most of them require a reboot.  This is where the truly obnoxious part comes into play.  

Why would you want to do all of the updates, then reboot once, when you could have the computer do them all individually and reboot after every single one?  That seems silly.  Oh wait, no...the opposite of that.  Why the crap do I have to do it this way, rebooting and restarting everything only to have the computer break down again and say I need to reboot to complete the next installation?   

I've restarted my computer 5 times today, counting one where the thing just straight lost its mind and locked up, but we'll assume that was a fluke.  Hopefully, I'm done with software updates for today...but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it.   

No comments: