Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Don't Even Start With That "In Bed" Nonsense



What does it mean when your fortune cookie is empty?  


At the very least, it means you're not a very fortunate person.  


So, one of the most important things to understand about today's Sametime Status is that there is a Chinese restaurant right across the street from work.  It's pretty good, and I get my lunch there on occasion.  When I do, as is the custom in many Chinese restaurants in America, they give me a fortune cookie.  

It's nothing special, really.  Made by some bulk fortune cookie factory, probably in the US, since fortune cookies are entirely an American invention (or possibly Japanese, but that's beside the point entirely).  It's crunchy and tasty, and includes a little slip of paper with some words of wisdom, some lucky numbers, and a word or two of Chinese so that I can learn the language.  It's probably worthy of note here that I've been going to this restaurant for a number of years and have yet to actually learn to carry on a conversation in Chinese based on the words found in fortune cookies.  

Occasionally, the fortunes are interesting, but more often are fairly common and bland.  Though, I did get one once that said "Someone can read your mind."  I found that one endlessly creepy.  

Not long ago, after enjoying my Chinese food lunch, I cracked open my fortune cookie for dessert.  There was no slip of paper inside.  No fortune, no lucky numbers, no Chinese words for me to learn.  Nothing.  

Now, I don't know if this is a bad thing or not.  It could be that my fortune is bad enough that I don't want to learn it.  Perhaps I'm not going to be around long enough for a fortune to come true.  That would suck, too.  

Or, perhaps the machine at the fortune cookie factor screwed up and my cookie was one of the statistical outliers in their fortune quality control program.  Definitely one of those options. 

No comments: