Friday, June 5, 2015

Quick Learner



I’m convinced people who make sunglasses purposely make those little nose pads impossible to replace so you have to buy new sunglasses


This is Jeremy's flimsy excuse to buy new sunglasses so he can be like that guy on CSI.  


So, I've had these sunglasses in my car for some time now.  I honestly don't know, but I have reason to believe it's been a fair while.  See, the nose pads on them grew so old and brittle that they fell off not long ago.  One held on for about a week longer than the other, which I would almost maintain is really good quality control, but that's beside the point entirely.  

While you may think that a lack of nose pads on sunglasses may not be such a big deal, and you'd have a point, I'm quickly learning that there is more than one purpose to sunglasses nose pads.  

The nose pads are made out of a soft, plastic-type material that has a reasonably high coefficient of friction.  Everyone knows this.  These properties are what make the glasses comfortable to wear and stay on your face.  The pads are held onto the glasses frame via a small metal post.  Without nose pads, the glasses are slightly less comfortable, but they're light enough that you don't much notice.  Also, without nose pads, the glasses slide down your nose a little easier.  But, since there's not usually a lot of violent head motion when driving, and there are arms that hold onto your ears at the same time, the amount of slippage is pretty negligible.  So why, then, do I feel the need to have glasses with nose pads again?  

Because the nose pads have one other important characteristic.  They retain significantly less heat than the little metal posts that hold them on.  Now that there are no pads, all of the heat stored in the frame gets transferred directly to my nose when I put the glasses on.  This sucks.  This sucks right out loud.  

I need new sunglasses. 

No comments: