Wednesday, January 21, 2015

It Was A Comedy Roast



Still recovering from my rutabaga injury


I always tell you that if you keep making stupid jokes, people are going to keep throwing produce at you.  Usually it's tomatoes, but I guess your readership is more creative than that.


Actually, my rutabaga injury was a completely accidental mishap.  Nobody hit me with a rutabaga.


Then, by all means, let me be the first.


I, like 83% of the population, have long been aware of rutabagas, and enjoy saying rutabaga, but have never actually bought one, leave alone eat it.  This all changed recently after a conversation with loyal reader, "Z."  From what I understand, he bought a rutabaga on a whim and enjoyed it, shortly followed by prompting me to go buy one.  I went to the local farm market on customer appreciation day, so that my rutabaga would be 10% off.  This just makes sense, because if I didn't like it, I can at least take solace in the fact that I didn't pay full price for the thing.

After Much Exhausting Research, I came across a recipe for roasted rutabaga.  This involves both peeling and cubing the vegetable, so I set to work.  I have a totally decent vegetable peeler, but the skin of a rutabaga is pretty tough, so it was still work to peel the thing.  At one point in this process, the peeler slipped and my hand skimmed across the surface, jamming a piece of the skin under the nail on my thumb.  I promptly exclaimed "Fiddle dee dee," or something to that effect, and went back to work, only to notice later that my thumbnail was bleeding.  Oh well...it's one of the sacrifices I'm willing to make for culinary adventure.  

As it turns out, roasted rutabaga is almost worthless.  The taste and texture are very much akin to your standard potato, with just a hint of horseradish flavor.  By the time you're done eating your serving of it, you've gotten over the novelty, and you're a little sick of the thing.  The recipe also involves parsley, which we already know is junk, so no help there.  

Anyway...it's a couple days later, and my thumb still hurts a little on occasion.  It's annoying.  Thanks for nothing, rutabaga. 

No comments: