Monday, January 19, 2015

At Least It's Warm



Pro Tip: A blender jar makes a great funnel for pouring water down your pants


For all the reasons you need to pour water down your pants!


In my case, it was mostly because I was cleaning my blender.   


This apparently can not be done with dry pants.  Most of our readers probably didn't know that.  


So, recently, I used my blender.  I like smoothies, and the smoothie place near my house closed not all that long ago, leaving me smoothiless.  Unless, of course, I go to the bagel place and get one of their weird smoothies with kale and oatmeal.  I haven't brought myself to do that.  Not when I can throw a banana, some ice, and various other stuff in a blender and make my own.  In this particular case, the other stuff is pineapple.  Pineapples were on sale.
As you might expect, after I enjoyed my smoothie, I needed to wash out the blender.  My blender jar comes apart into three pieces: the jar itself, the lid, and the blade assembly.  (Bonus Pro Tip: when buying a blender, never EVER leave the store without one that has All Metal Drive)  Cleaning the thing at this point is pretty standard and easy enough to visualize, so I won't bore you with the details.  Rinsing is more of an adventure.  

At this point, the jar of the blender more closely resembles a tube, since it has no lid, or bottom, since they have been removed.  Anything you pour into the top runs the length of the side and dumps almost immediately out the bottom, as you might expect.  This makes rinsing easy, since all you have to do is pour clean water into the top, it runs along the side, removing any suds and soap residue on its way down, pouring out the bottom, ideally into the sink.  Here's where problems arise.  The jar is also fairly significantly sized, and the output stream of your rinse water is rather far away from the entry point, so you have to be very careful about positioning, lest your rinse water arrive somewhere NOT over the sink....say...your pants.  

The unfortunate part of this isn't so much that you feel stupid (you do) or that you haven't successfully rinsed your blender (you have).  The unfortunate part of this is how long it takes for water to soak through your pants, which is your trigger to realize that you have a problem.  By the time you're made aware of your pants, you have already dumped a significant amount of water on yourself and the floor near the sink, and you either have to clean that up immediately while wearing soaked pants, or you have to change your pants while water makes its way around your kitchen.  If only this somehow could have been avoided. 

No comments: