Monday, August 11, 2014

C-A-T Smart



More offended than I probably should be by use of the word “Heighth”  


I'm offended by your use of the word "word." 


There really was no good way to syntax that.  I didn't want two consecutive words with quotation marks, especially with two different uses of quotation marks.  That would be awful. 


And now you're using "syntax" as a verb?  We're going to get emails...


So anyway, I believe it's very important for people who make a living via written or spoken word to be familiar with the language they are speaking.  It doesn't seem like that much of a stretch, but apparently, it's a difficult concept to grasp.  I also realize that I am a genius, and so my standards may be unreasonably high at times.  I don't believe this specific time falls under that umbrella, though.  
You're probably aware by now that I often listen to audio books while driving.  It's a hobby of mine, and it lets me catch up on my reading that would otherwise make me fall asleep.  It's also regrettably kept me current with certain pop culture phenomena which have become major motion picture series.  


This is a family Blag, Jeremy!  


I meant the Divergent series, you imbecile.  

Anyway, I came across a series of shortish novels by a well-known fantasy writer I was made aware of recently.  I liked the other thing he wrote that I "read" and so I thought I'd give this series a chance.  It's pretty entertaining, but I have a problem with the audio books' narrator.  His English is terrible.  I've noticed him mispronounce scientific words (he pronounced "gigabyte" like Christopher Lloyd pronounced "gigawatt" in Back To The Future), pulled the X for T swap to pronounce "ex cetera," and perhaps most egregious of all, he's now used the word "heighth" three times in under two books.  

Yes...I get it that Length and Width end in "th."  That they are extensions of the words "long" and "wide" and thus need to be modified.  But modifying "High" is done by simply adding the "T".  Height is its own word.  It has its own good thing going and never has the "H" at the end muddling things up.  So while your compulsive self may feel the need to have three dimensional description words all ending the same, your actually English-speaking self needs to understand that we have Length, Width, and Height. 

No comments: