Tuesday, September 4, 2012

I Can't Come Up With A Slider Joke


The one Goose was being a jerk to all the others.  You might say he was being a Maverick.


I bet you told him a joke.  You're a real Jester.  


So not long ago, I enjoyed a relaxing bike trip out to a nearby park which contains a "Lake."  They call it a lake on the maps and in the name of the park, but I'd barely even call this thing an overgrown pond.  I spent a considerable portion of my time there looking for koi. 

Anyway, this lake is the home to quite a few geese, along with a bunch of ducks, and two swans.  Those things were pretty cool, but that's beside the point.  I really hate when people screw up that phase and say "besides the point," but that's beside the point as well.  

I walk my bike down to a picnic table near the water's edge past a gaggle of geese (A gaggle is technically called a skein when the geese are flying.  There's your learning for the day), and they largely ignored me.  They walked calmly away from me as I approached, but otherwise didn't seem to be too bothered with me.  I've read stories and Watched Videos about geese attacking people, but I was pretty sure those involved protecting nests and eggs.  There didn't seem to be any nests, eggs, or goslings around, so I thought I was pretty okay to walk through.  Of course, if they did decide to attack, and I ended up dying of Bird Flu, I would have nobody to blame but myself.  


You know what eats goose eggs?  Vipers.


Anyway, no such atrocity occurred, and I sat down to watch the world interact with my lake...and to throw stones into the water, as you may have guessed.  It was very peaceful until one of the geese started honking.  I looked over and one of the geese had decided to start causing all sorts of ruckus with one of the others.  


Was his name Charlie?


I don't know what the fight was about, but it was brief...involving more honking than anything else, though he did flap his wings a couple times and threaten to peck.  Their beaks aren't very sharp, so I'm not sure how much good that would have done anyway, but in Goose World, it seemed pretty aggressive.  Well, not long after that, the offending goose decided that one of the other geese was deserving of some honking and flapping as well, so he chased after that one, too.  he ended up doing this 4 or 5 times to different geese who I guess were honking behind his back or something.  All in all, it came off like the one goose was being a total jerk, but he still hung out with the rest of the gaggle.  


A Goose always needs a good Wingman.  If it was a lot colder, I bet you would have been quite the Iceman.  


So nothing really came of this little goose spat I saw, but it was entertaining for a couple minutes.  Guess I'm just lucky a Cougar didn't come around and chase everyone away.  


It would have taken all the magic of Merlin to get out of that one.  


     

No comments: