Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Ham And Cheese On Rye!


Here’s a Fun Fact!  Order had no rules until 1876


Then how did people intelligently discuss the issues of the day?


I honestly have no idea.  I wasn't there.  What's important to note is that today is Robert's Rules Of Order Day, which celebrates...well...maybe celebrate is a strong word, but recognizes the tome by which intelligent discourse is governed.  "Robert's Rules Of Order" was first published in February of 1876 by US Army Colonel Henry Martyn Robert.  I was surprised that the guy's first name wasn't Robert, too.  Hopefully, he named his son Robert.  Anyway, Robert was later promoted to Brigadier General, assumedly because of his parliamentary procedure volume, published while he was working in Wisconsin...ironically, where Parliamentary Procedure has since gone to die.    

I'm most amused by today being Robert's Rules Of Order Day because of something that happened recently.  I was watching hockey not long ago, which I am wont to do, and some less-than-civil discourse broke out.  Bypassing parliamentary procedure where the member stands, then is granted the floor by the speaker, and a motion is made...the player on one team simply made a motion to punch the player from the other team in the face...and succeeded.  (Yay for alternative definitions!)  Anyway, during the intermission show, one of the commentators was describing the physical nature of this particular game and how numerous skirmishes broke out by talking about "a push, a shove, a couple of 'why I oughttas'..."  I was fascinated by this use of the phrase "Why I Oughtta" as a noun, and you should be too.   

No comments: