Thursday, May 24, 2012

Going Out Of Words


Whenever an audio book gets to Chapter 11, I’m surprised that it keeps going


But then the rest of the book is read with the oversight of a judge?  


So today's Sametime Status continues my foray into Literature Made Easy, with an amusing comment on narration.  Most books are broken into chapters, though I'm not always sure why.  Different authors define their chapters differently, so books like "At Swim - Two Birds" has only one chapter (Still called "Chapter 1" while "Under The Dome" has chapters that are only a couple sentences long which is at least part of the reason the book is over 1000 pages.  (28 Hours in Audio Book Form, in case you were wondering)  

When reading the book aloud for an audio book, the narrator will generally quote everything verbatim, including reading off the chapter numbers.  It's a bit of a distraction, I'll admit, but a necessary evil for the convenience of not having to actually read the thing myself.  

When this happens, there is a pause in the narration, followed by the voice calling out "Chapter 2" or whatever the chapter number is.  I'm always amused when it gets to 11 because, in my mind at least, Chapter 11 has an entirely different meaning.  I immediately think of the bankruptcy code in which Chapter 11 refers to a type of Bankruptcy proceeding in which a business is allowed to stay in business with protection from creditors, but under court supervision.  I know this because Wikipedia knows this, not because my business is failing.  I also don't have a business. 

No comments: