Monday, January 16, 2012

What The Puck?


The commodity price of vulcanized rubber has gone up…apparently


 That actually makes a lot of sense.  Investing in that makes you live long and prosper.  


Exactly, and...wait, what?


Star Trek joke.  It was funny.


I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree there.  Anyway, recently, I made a small investment in the vulcanized rubber industry, as I am wont to do.  
You should invest in gold instead...safer place to put your money these days.


It's more of a hobby than an investment, really.  I generally don't succumb to the whole "souvenir" thing when I go on vacations.  I don't like the novelty kitsch items that say a foreign city's name while being remarkably overpriced and worthless within 2 weeks of the vacation's end.  One area where I do fall for this act is the gift shop at hockey rinks.  I go to hockey games on occasion, and whenever I watch a game in a new rink, I like to pick up a puck from the home team as a keepsake.  I have the majority of them stacked up in a giant precarious pyramid in my office.  The number is somewhere around 40 right now, counting the ones I have at home.  Well, I added to the collection this weekend, having visited sunny Bridgeport CT and treating myself to both a Bridgeport Sound Tigers game and a new puck.  That's the good news.  The bad news is that some local elementary school provided a children's choir for the singing of the national anthem as well as the entertainment during both intermissions.  Also in the "bad news" category was that the price of souvenir hockey pucks has gone up.  That was annoying, but still a price that had to be paid for the benefit of my collection.  


Speaking of bad news...there was some TV news last week.


Yeah...this was actually my Sametime Status on Friday, but that whole work thing got in the way again, so I couldn't share it with you here, but the CW network has announced a new game show set to premier this season.  The show, which I promise you I Am Not Making Up is called "Oh Sit" and is, for all intents and purposes, musical chairs.  Just astonishing. 

No comments: