Monday, October 3, 2011

Blistery Memories


I haven't had a case of "Nintendo Thumb" this bad since before I actually owned a Nintendo


Today's post is to inform all of you loyal readers that Jeremy will be taking the rest of the week off for medical leave.  The soreness on his left thumb is too much to bear, and he is not able to press the space bar anymore.  The doctors have prescribed bed rest for 4 days.


Okay, well...part of that is true.  Jeremy Is In The Office will be Out Of The Office for the rest of the week, but for entirely different reasons.  I'll actually be spending the rest of the week in an off-site training course, and I won't have access to my instant messenger, so there's really no sense in making new messages to use as a Status.  Which is a shame, because I had a really good one for tomorrow...I'll give you a hint:  It had something to do with Fire.

Anyway, to truly appreciate today's Sametime Status, the concept of "Nintendo Thumb" must be understood.  When playing an old-school Nintendo (Os the subsequent Playstation or X-Box), the left thumb manipulates a control pad or joystick.  While this can be done with a very light and simple motion, most video games are more engaging, and thus the pressure applied can become, albeit unknowingly, pretty substantial.  Extended periods of time applying this force can cause quite a bit of soreness in the left thumb, possibly even blisters, until the hand becomes accustomed to this type of action.  This soreness is known as "Nintendo Thumb."

It must also be understood that I never had a Nintendo when I was growing up.  I'm not sure how much this bothers me.  You have to factor in the fact that Nintendos were the only socially acceptable video game to have.  There's also the fact that I am made of suck at Nintendo-based video games.  It doesn't matter which ones...from Mario to Duck Hunt, Tetris to Contra...


Pause inserted here on account of you're all thinking "Up Up Down Down Left Right Left Right B A Start"


I am terrible at all of them.  Now, give me a rousing game of "NHL Hitz" on my X-Box, and I'll beat the computer by 30 goals while ringing up 20 minutes in penalties and checking the goalie through the glass at least once.  (Yes, it's possible...and even legal in certain instances)  But that's beside the point.  The point is that because my thumb never got accustomed to Nintendo games, whenever I play my X-Box, I get Nintendo Thumb.  This is especially ironic considering I actually own a Nintendo now...a Wii, which does not have the Thumb affliction.  


So why were you playing video games so much that you caused this?


I was doing drywall work, which everyone knows is an iterative process.  You splatter on some joint compound, and play video games while you wait for it to dry.  Then you sand, apply more compound, and play video games while you wait for it to dry.  It's really pretty tedious, and damaging to your left thumb.  Anyway...see you all next week!

No comments: