Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Almost Soothing


It’s just not the same unless my car is yelling at me


 Jeremy is a bad driver.  Do yourself a favor and stay off the sidewalks.


This has nothing to do with my driving abilities, which are perfectly acceptable, by the way.  This has to do with the pretty established notion that I am a creature of habit.  I settle into routines, arrange the bills in my wallet a very specific way, have some mild compulsive tendencies, and expect certain things to happen in a very certain way.  

One of those things is starting my car.  I have a routine.  I settle into the seat, start the car, put the seat belt on, then proceed merrily on my way.  One important part of this is the order of operations...start the car before seat belt.  I don't know why it goes this way, but I don't question it.  It has an unfortunate side effect, though.  Pretty much every car in creation nowadays has an alarm that starts to go off if you start the car without having the seat belt connected.  It's usually a pretty mild beeping that goes on while the car is going through its start-up cycle.  That noise has become so ingrained in my routine that if for some reason, I have my seat belt on before I start the car, I get concerned that there isn't an alarm going off.  The car's not supposed to not make a beeping sound at this stage of the game.

No comments: