Monday, February 28, 2011

...and the Oscar doesn't go to...

I would like to thank the Academy for snubbing the Coen Brothers


True Grit was a pretty good movie, I think.


Well, that's your opinion. I haven't seen it.


Then how did I see it? I'm confused...


So disapproval comes in many different forms. There's stuff you simply don't like, stuff you just don't need again, stuff you hate, and stuff you hate with the blinding white-hot passion of 1000 suns (See: Cage, Nicolas). The Coen Brothers fall into the category of stuff I'm just done with...I don't need to see any more of their movies.

Over the years, I've seen a number of their films (Including "Raising Arizona" starring Nicolas Cage...little bit of chicken and egg there, I think), and have walked away impressed by none of them. In fact, my reaction to just about every one of their films I've ever seen is a somber, "What was that?"

As such, when their most recent film, a remake of the 1969 John Wayne film "True Grit," was nominated for "Best Picture" among other Oscars...I rooted against it. I don't want to encourage this type of behavior.


Film remakes?


Coen Brothers films. At least Nicolas Cage was nowhere to be found in this year's Academy Awards. How the frig did he ever get an Oscar?

No comments: