Monday, October 11, 2010

There really is no scale

How wrong is it that when I hear talk of "Perdition's Flames," I think "Wrath of Khan" before I think "Moby Dick"?


Mildly to moderately. Wrath of Khan was pretty much based on Moby Dick. Khan quotes Ahab fairly liberally throughout the film.


Everyone knows this. In fact, many people have noticed the copy of Moby Dick that was sitting on the shelf of the Botany Bay when it was marooned on Seti Alpha V.


Okay...being able to reference "Botany Bay" and "Seti Alpha V" from memory is creeping into a slightly more dangerous realm of wrong.


Fair enough. So today's Sametime Status is based on a real-life event. I forget what it was I was watching or listening to at the time, but somebody referenced "Perdition's Flames" and my thoughts immediately sprang to Ricardo Montalban. All this despite the fact that on my last road trip, I had the MP3 player working on an audio book version of Moby Dick.

In fact, even while "reading" Moby Dick, when I got to the Perdition's Flame bit, I thought of Star Trek. It was a little weird.

No comments: