Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ooo! Pick me! Pick MEEEE!

Non-Stop political ads in October is like a 3rd grader cramming for a history test


It's the time of year that you run for office again, right?


Well, it's that time of every other year, actually. One thing that I actually did learn in history class (roughly the only thing) is that every 2 years, we elect the entire House of Representatives and one third of the Senate. There's also state elections which involve a senate and an assembly, and local stuff, too, but I have no idea what the terms are for those. All I know is that every 18 months, these people that we've elected to run our government stop doing their jobs for 6 months to run for re-election. Glad I'm still paying them for that.

Around this time, watching TV or listening to the radio (And now, even trying to play a freakin' game on my Droid) is a minefield of political advertisements, the vast majority of which are designed to get me to hate somebody. Okay...so I get it...everybody who's running for office is going to suck. They're going to raise my taxes, send jobs overseas, increase the deficit, raise premiums on my health insurance, destroy public schools, unleash a pride of lions on the city, start World War 3, and cover up the outbreak of Bird Flu. If all these people are such jerks, why do we have to vote for any of them? Shouldn't there be a "None Of The Above" option, which would leave the seat vacant if it got the most votes? As much as I think that's a terrific idea, I'm saddened to think that it might win.

It seems to me that if all these candidates did their jobs better in the 18 months that they do work, they wouldn't have to campaign so hard for reelection, and their opponents wouldn't have so much complaining to do about they job they've done. It very much harkens back to history class, where I'd spend the night before a test poring through all of my notes trying in vain to learn history. If I had spent the weeks between tests learning history, maybe I'd know some of it (Probably not, but that's counter to my point, so we're going to go with it). So my message to all of you politicians is simple. Stop spending 6 months yapping about the changes that you need to make in the next term and start spending your current term...oh, I don't know...earning my tax money!!!

Jerks.

No comments: