Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Nostalgia Sucks

That Probability song from Square One is nowhere near as good as I remember it.


I suppose that's a problem with history. It's only as good as you remember.


Exactly. But that's one of the problems with the Internet. It's documented proof that stuff you thought was good once is actually crap.


Just think...somebody years from now will look back on this Blag and think it was garbage. Oh wait...most people think that already.


That's beside the point. We all have stuff from our past that we enjoyed. But maybe those same things don't apply to us anymore, and the enjoyment would be entirely lost if you were to see it now. Such is often the case with music...you haven't heard a song in years, remember it being a great thing, but then you listen to it again, and you wonder how you ever could have possibly liked it. I had such an event the other day.

Back when it was on TV, I enjoyed watching the edutaining show "Square One." It was a nerdy show dedicated to teaching math to kids. They introduced fundamental concepts such as Tessellation, Angles, Negative Numbers, Multiples, Percentages, etc in a fun and accessible way. One of the "Lessons" was a song regarding probability. It was called "Ghost of a Chance" and I remembered it being the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Unfortunately, The Internet came along and ruined all my fun. Somebody went and posted the original video (granted, in remarkably crappy video form), and I got to see it again years later. The singing is horrifyingly bad.

See For Yourself Here!


I'm sorry, Jeremy. That lesson on Probability is the main reason you became an engineer in the first place. Your whole life is a lie.


I wouldn't quite go that far...but I am disappointed that a great memory I had is now tarnished.


Go back and watch a couple of the old "Mathman" videos and try not to shove a pen into your ear to stop the hurting. It's fun!

No comments: