Monday, May 24, 2010

It would be bad

I live in a constant state of fear of dropping my keys down a sewer grate


Yeah, I suppose that would be a bad thing. So what's for lunch?


It's not even so much a fear, but a ridiculously all-consuming paranoia. Being a creature of habit, I have a specific way of locking my car, folding the keychain over, and tucking it into my pocket. I do this several times a day, and I don't think I've ever dropped my fob or keys while doing it. However, if I have the misfortune of parking near a sewer, I have a series of things that I do. I stare directly at the sewer the entire time I'm passing it, I make a substantial detour so that I do not come within 5 feet of the sewer, I make sure the keys are in my pocket, and I put my hand in my pocket to hold on to the keys until I'm safely past.

This may seem like overkill to some of you...and it probably is, but the simple fact is that I have never dropped my keys into an open sewer. How many of you can say the same?


Just about everyone, I would imagine.


In fact...I'd like to hear just the opposite. If anyone has amusing stories about dropping their keys in a hard-to-reach locale, let the world know! It'll be fun!

1 comment:

Tim said...

Does this have anything to do with that matchbox car that we lost down the sewer at Grandpa's house?