Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I'm sure it's nice and all....

No, I don't want to be friends with the grocery store.


It is a very friendly grocery store.


That's all well and good, but it's a store. It's made of bricks and shelves.


Bricks have feelings, too.


Unless you've been living in a cave for the last 10 years, you're aware of Social Networking. It's a bunch of different internety type sites designed to help people get in touch with each other. This can be lots of fun, reuniting with old friends, meeting new people, using a fictitious one as the basis for a sitcom they're writing, finding out who that girl is you saw once so you can properly stalk her...


Jeremy...the local police would like to speak with you.


A number of businesses use these Social Networking sites to expand people's awareness of their products and services. This is nice in the case of the small mom+pop business, but a little stranger in the realm of large, faceless, atomatonic corporations...such as my grocery store. I got an email from the store the other day asking me to befriend it on a social networking site. I'm not going to.

Sure, it may have the added benefit of a random coupon every now and again for something I don't plan on buying, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I'm not actually friends with the grocery store any more than I'm friends with the tree in my back yard.


What's wrong with Woody? He's a great guy!


So no, large, faceless, atomatonic corporate grocery store...I will not be your friend. I will be your customer...and I will CONTINUE to be right.

No comments: