Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Canonically, it's described as 'Epic'

Ever get halfway through typing your old password and just hit enter because it's easier to fail than hitting backspace 6 times?


Haha...you suck at passwords.


Well...yes, but then again, most people do in some capacity. For security purposes, I'm required to change passwords fairly often, and since I'm not allowed to go back to an old password for like 10 generations or so, I have something of a pattern that I follow when creating them. It makes sense to me, and probably nobody else in the world...which is what makes it a great system.

The problem is that the old ones are too easy to remember, and since I have to type certain ones multiple times per day (such as the one to log into my computer, which I have to type every time I open the lid on the laptop), I get very accustomed to typing them. After the password changes, there is a period of no less than 3 weeks where every time I type in a certain password, I start typing the old one instead. Most times, I don't notice until I hit enter, and the computer tells me my password was invalid. I quietly reprimand myself, type in the new password and be on my way. Occasionally, while in the midst of typing the old password, I will remember that it has changed, and I'm faced with the moral dilemma. Do I start slapping the backspace key repeatedly to get rid of my worthless typing and key in the real password, or do I simply cut bait, hit enter, have my computer yell at me for typing the wrong password, and start anew?

This morning, I chose option 2. It saves keystrokes.


You know what else saves keystrokes? Remembering your password.


Yeah, but you know that's not going to happen, so I need to optimize my Plan B.

1 comment:

Jeremy D said...

Depending on which operating system it is, you could just hit Ctrl-U (UNIX-based/Linux) or Shift-Home (Windows) and just start typing all over again... That's what I find myself doing periodically.