Friday, April 3, 2009

I find my lack of faith disturbing

I make it a point not to trust any company that tells me I trust them in their commercials.


So telling people you're trustworthy isn't good enough?


Th every concept of advertising is deceitful. People make commercials so that their product or service appears better and more appealing than it really is. If you watch a commercial for McDonalds, they'll show you a perfect Big Mac with the bright green lettuce folded just so, buns perfectly stacked on each other, and the burger perfectly centered and peeking out from the edge of the bun. Go to a McDonalds and order a Big Mac, and you'll get the leaning tower of dull colors. Sauce everywhere, dull, soggy lettuce, and a full half inch of bun surrounding the patty itself.

So when I see a commercial, I know that the product on the screen is no especially indicative of the product I would receive should I actually go to the establishment. Burgers are juicier, cars are faster, stores have the products I'm looking for, sales are better...it's really a non-stop train to disappointment. Due to this, I really have no trust in commercials.

So when I hear the radio commercial every morning on my way to work for a local home improvement store that tells me that they have "the name you trust," I instantly dislike them. I've never been to the store, so they have never once provided me a good or service that lived up to my expectations, thus earning my trust. The bottom line is, I don't trust them, and for them to have the audacity to tell me that I do and give me no other option THAN to trust them means I find them to be manipulative liars...the very people I don't trust.

1 comment:

Willie Y said...

Who do we trust. Go here and find out.