Wednesday, January 14, 2009

What was I thinking?

The middle of January is a bad time to try to buy rock salt.


Of course it is...it's time to get ready for the beach!


So let's ignore the fact that the lawn is covered in snow, negating the need for a lawnmower, or that the frozen ground won't be especially receptive to planting new seeds or fertilizing. Forget that the grill is still under wraps and everyone's pool is still a solid block of ice.

Despite all of this, it seems worthy of note that the temperature tonight is supposed to be roughly -2 degrees (-19deg C), and there exists the possibility that I may need to apply salt to my driveway. This apparently is a foreign concept to at least 4 stores in the area, who have completey removed their supplies of ice melter, replacing them with grills, lawnmowers, planting and fertilizing supplies, and swimming pool chemicals. To these stores, I give a hearty "No Thanks." I know I need to buy my Christmas supplies in July, and my Fourth of July barbecue is just around the corner, but how's about leaving out one bag of rock salt for me? I could use that before somebody decides that taking a header in my driveway could be very lucrative for them.

2 comments:

Jeremy Dailey said...

The BigOrangeBox (tm) didn't have any either. The less-than-useful employee directed me to salt that is used in a water softener.

Willie Y said...

You could spend 20,000.00 dollars to put a hot water heating system under your driveway. No need for salt, and with your savings it could pay for itself in say 150 years.