Tuesday, January 27, 2009

He's as bad as John Williams

Tone Loc totally stole “Wild Thing” from Charlie Daniels


You should check your temperature...a rap song stolen from country?


Indeed. I was made aware of this just yesterday, and couldn't wait to share with you. So while the music may be slightly different, the meter and rhythm of "Wild Thing" by Tone Loc completely mirrors that of "The Devil Went Down to Georgia."


No.


It's true! Here's proof, formatted for easy viewing:

  • Shoppin' at the mall looking for some gear to buy
    I saw this girl
    she cool rocked my world
    and I had to adjust my fly.
    She looked at me and smiled and said "You have plans for the night"
    I said "Hopefully
    if things go well
    I'll be with you tonight"

  • The devil went down to Georgia He was lookin' for a soul to steal
    He was in a bind
    'Cause he was way behind
    And he was willin' to make a deal
    When he came upon this young man Sawin' on a fiddle and playin' it hot
    And the devil jumped
    Up on a hickory stump
    And said, "Boy let me tell you what..."

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Little known fact: The Humpty Dance is stolen directly from Beethoven's Fourth Symphony. Let me break it down for you:

The Humpty Dance:
I like to rhyme.
I like my beats funky.
I'm spunky.
I like my oatmeal lumpy.
I'm sick with this.
Straight gangster mack,
But sometimes I get ridiculous.
I'll eat up all your crackers and your licorice.
Hey yo fat girl,
Come here, are you ticklish?
...

Beethoven's Fourth:
Bum Bum Ba Bum
Bum Ba Ba Bum Bummmmm
Bum Baba
Ba Bum Bum BaBum BaBummmm
Ba Ba Ba Bummm
Ba BaBaa Bum
Ba DumBum Bah Da BaDaDaDa
Ba Dum Bum Bum Dum DaDa Ba Da BaDaDa
Bum Dum Bum Ba
Da Dum Bum Bum BaDaDa
...

Willie Y said...

The song "I Am the Walrus" is really Rick Astley "Never Gonna Give You Up" only backwards.