Wednesday, January 28, 2009

I had to walk, of course.

I never got snow days when I was in school, either.


There's only a couple inches out there.


Which is why I'm at work today, instead of burrowing into a hole waiting for winter to end. This little dusting of snow isn't enough to stop me...although most of my coworkers have already decided to bail on the day, in addition to basically every school within a 50-mile radius.


Well somebody has to think of the children.


I honestly think in my entire high school career, I only got 2 snow days...and they weren't even snow days, technically. The high temperature was something like 10 below zero (-23C), and they cancelled school...but never because of snow. Now, every time there's snow, no matter how much, all of the nearby schools close. It's weird...there can be snow in the forecast, and schools will close...there was one day this winter when it was raining, and most of the schools thought it might turn to snow at some point, so they closed. (For the record, it didn't turn to snow...just rained all day.)

I guess my point is that I'm sure this aspect of The Wussification Of America is brought on by lawsuits against the school buses, which are all contracted out now and no longer run by the school district. It does make for a better drive to work, however. Everybody follows the school wussifcation with their own and stays home, so I have the roads all to myself...except for the overly cautious moron who feels obligated to drive 10MPH the entire way down the highway. Jerk.

3 comments:

Willie Y said...

How are you going to learn to drive in the snow if you never drive in the snow. And the only person who really needed to take a snow day was the jerk who was driving 10 mph.

Jeff said...

I always like to tell the "when I was a kid" story about the school bus that slid into a ditch in the middle of a blizzard, and all the kids got off the bus and waited in the snowbank, until another bus picked them up and brought them to school. No school closings.

Of course, I wussed out today and stayed home, but that was more out of an excuse not to go to work than actual fear of snow. Back to the hot chocolate / Jerry Springer!

Jeremy said...

I worked from home today also!