Monday, August 17, 2015

I Need A Ticket To Jump Overboard?



Silly Talking Heads, houses burn down at 1100 degrees, not 365  


That's 590 degrees Celsius.  Though, at the point where your house is on fire, I'm not sure unit conversions are really your biggest concern.  


It's also not clear from the lyrics which temperature system they're using.  Though, Talking Heads were an American band, and "Burning Down The House" was released in '83, so Fahrenheit is probably a safer bet.  

At this point, I feel like I need to clarify that we're simply talking about the song today, and my house did not, in fact, burn down.  Though, given the recent search history now on my work computer ("Average temperature of house fires" and "ignition temperature of paper" among the items), there may be a little bit of alarm among the government agencies who monitor my web traffic.  

Anyway, the lyrics to the song "Burning Down The House" by Talking Heads (1983) are wacky and best left unread.  There's a reason you're entirely familiar with the song but have no idea what the words are, with the exception of when to sing "Burning Down The House".  However, they contain one conspicuously bizarre line: "Shakedown, dreams walking in broad daylight.  Three hundred, sixty five degrees.  Burning down the house."  This makes no sense.  If nothing else, from a temperature standpoint, the average house fire as stated above burns at approximately 1100 degrees (590 deg C), way hotter than 365.  The ignition temperatures of most common household materials is lower than 365, so that doesn't fit either.  

You can look at the 365 degrees from a mathematical perspective, but that leaves you wanting as well.  There are 360 degrees in a full circle, so 365 would be a full circle with a slight counter-clockwise overturn (that's how math degrees work...they go counter-clockwise).  So why would I need a raincoat to turn in a circle and then 5 degrees left while my house is burning down?  This is weird.  Suffice to say, if I'm in a burning house, I'm not going to be spinning around.  I'm taking a direct route to the nearest non-flaming door.  That's good advice to everyone out there, by the way.  

There are 365 days in a non-leap year, so are Talking Heads getting their units that heinously mixed up?  As an engineer, I would hope not, but it's the only thing that fits. 

Silly Talking Heads.

No comments: