Monday, February 9, 2015

Another Lewis Black Moment



Why does it always snow on Free Iced Coffee Day? 


Just to get your goat, Jeremy.  Mother Nature is a cranky old bag like that.  


So, here I am, stuck working from home for the third consecutive monday.  It's not so bad, really...I can still get work done, and telecons are really no different, but it's annoying and makes me a little stir crazy.  This time around, there's about 8" of snow in the Greater Jeremy Area, more is still coming down, my street hasn't been plowed in over 3 hours, and at some point, I'll be outside again shoveling.  Winter sucks.  But that's tangential to the most important point.

It's Free Iced Coffee Day!

So, a somewhat local food chain that we'll refer to for strictly blag purposes as "Doughnuts for Dipping" sent me a thing in the mail a while back.  It's good for a free iced coffee every monday for 2 months.  It's very exciting, because I occasionally like a nice iced coffee.  Occasionally as in, like....once a week or so.  It's normally probably a little less often than that, but when it's free, it's for me.  For three consecutive mondays, I've been snowed in at home, unable (or let's be honest, unwilling) to venture out for a free iced coffee.  This would be great if I were at work.  There's a "Doughnuts for Dipping" location immediately across the street from work, in the same plaza as a deli I like to go to for lunch.  It works out great...one stop equals sandwich, plus iced coffee.  Win-Win!

But, I'm not at work, now am I?

This is not to say that there isn't a convenient location of "Doughnuts for Dipping" near me now.  I just don't want to shovel the driveway, brave the roads and the idiot drivers to drive out to the store for only a free iced coffee when it's 20 degrees outside.  It's really not worth that.  That being said...there are a LOT of "Doughnuts for Dipping" locations nearby.  A rather ludicrous number, actually. 

If I were feeling adventurous, I would need only travel 1.3 miles to arrive at the nearest one.  Should that one be closed for some inexplicable reason, there's another a mere 1.2 miles farther along on the exact same road.  Let's say I'm not traveling that direction, though.  It gets harder at that point, as I would have to venture a full 3.6 miles from my house to get to the closest one that way.  Very fortunately, they're building a new location 0.3 miles down the road from that one.  It's fortunate because without that new location, by golly, you'd have to go an entire 4 miles down that road before you could get a Doughnut for Dipping.  Very conveniently, there's a location 0.1 miles farther own on the other side of the road if that one's not to your liking.  I really wish I was making any of these up.  I have 6 "Doughnuts for Dipping" franchises within 8 miles of my house (Well, technically, 5 with one under construction).  I guess they're not big believers in over saturation. 

No comments: