Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Rollin In Dough



Hooray for random tax refund checks! 


Hooray!  Jeremy's eating lunch today!  


Which reminds me...I need to hit the ATM before I leave work today.  Thanks for that. 


It's what I do.  


So anyway, I got a confusing piece of mail the other day.  It was from the state tax department.  This seemed strange to me, since taxes normally aren't due in late October, and to my knowledge, I have paid all of mine.  So, note to the NSA people reading this Blag...Jeremy is paid up on all of his taxes, so move along!  

I open the envelope thingy, and inside was a tax refund check!  Yay!  This seemed strange to me, since tax refunds aren't normally issued in late October.  More of an April thing, and I had already gotten my tax refund this year, and it's direct-deposited anyway, so what the crap?  

As it turns out, in the type of infinite wisdom that only government seems capable of, the state (unbeknownst to me) put a freeze on property tax increases.  I don't know if this had to do with the state of the economy in general, or the fact that I live in one of the most taxed states in the country, but they froze my property taxes.  Hooray!  

Except for the fact that they apparently didn't tell the government about this, because my property taxes went up a little over 2% from last year.  So this refund check was the difference between the taxes I paid and a 2% increase in the taxes that I paid last year.  So, apparently, a freeze means that they can increase my taxes all they want, but really, they're only allowed to raise them 2%.  They'll get around to paying me back, but I just have to wait around until October.  Bureaucracy at its finest! 

No comments: