Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Much Like "Point Of Sale" Cash Registers




Pro Tip for restaurants: When food comes served in Brown Sauce, don’t abbreviate this to “B.S.”




Please tell me this didn't happen.  I really want to believe that this didn't happen.


I'd like to believe it too, but sadly, it's not the case.  

As you're probably aware, Brown Sauce is a very common ingredient in many dishes served in Chinese restaurants.  At least the Chinese restaurants in the US where what's served is not particularly authentic Chinese food, but that's beside the point entirely.  When I go out for Chinese food, I order stuff with Brown Sauce fairly often.  This happened not long ago when I went to the local Chinese restaurant for lunch, and one of the specials of the day was Chicken with String Beans in Brown Sauce.  It not only sounded delicious (and to be perfectly frank, I've had it before, and it is delicious), but it was cheaper, being the special of the day, so I pondered it.  

The important thing to note is that there are two different variations on this dish as served in this particular restaurant.  There is the Brown Sauce version, and there is a Chicken with String Beans in Garlic Sauce.  As much as I enjoy garlic, the garlic sauce in this restaurant doesn't do it for me.  So, I took a second look at the board to make sure that the specials version was the Brown Sauce variation.  The sign actually said "Chicken w/ String Beans in B.S."  My first reaction was, "Hooray!  Brown Sauce!"  My second, albeit later reaction was "Wait a second....the abbreviation B.S. is already taken, and not by something I want on my Chicken with String Beans."  

Fortunately for me and my lunch, I was served Brown Sauce.  It was delicious. 

No comments: