Thursday, May 15, 2014

Kirk Would Never Do This



Every time my computer asks if I want to delete data, I envision a sad Brent Spiner


Why do you want to make Brent Spiner sad?  He never did anything to you!


I'm sorry, Mr. Spiner.  You were a television staple for me for a long time as Lt. Commander Data on Star Trek, The Next Generation (Also called simply "Next Gen" or "TNG"...pronounced 'Ting').  But the fact remains, occasionally, I delete old stuff from my computer.  It's nothing personal. 

There are a handful of programs that I use frequently on my computer to manage data, both incoming and outgoing.  One of them routinely displays a pop-up window asking, "Are you sue you want to delete data from your computer?" or something to that effect.  Whenever this happens, in my head, a picture of a sad Lt. Commander Data pops up as if to ask, "why would you want to delete me?"  It's like that episode where Commander Riker had to prove that Data was a Star Fleet asset and not a sentient being in order for Picard to save Data's life.  (It was a little more complicated than that, but if you've seen the episode, you know what I'm talking about.)  

Of course, I realize that during the series' run, Data had no feelings.  They were introduced in a handful of episodes, and provided on a more permanent basis in the subsequent movies, but for the most part, emotions were not part of Data's programming.  As such, the concept of a "Sad Data" is a bit of a stretch, but I'm okay with that, apparently. 

No comments: