Friday, May 23, 2014

And Still Nobody Knows What "Zing Boom Tararrel" Means



Not sure if I approve of “The Beer Barrel Polka” as hockey music or not


People drink beer at hockey games all the time.  Presumably, it comes in kegs, which resemble barrels.  I vote yea!  


So recently, I was watching hockey.  I know, I know...it happens on occasion, really.  Specifically, I was watching the Western Conference Finals match between the Los Angeles Kings and the Chicago Blackhawks.  At one point in the game, the organist (and it really is an organist...it's not all pre-recorded music) started playing the Beer Barrel Polka.  

What's weird about this is that it wasn't the "Roll out the barrel..." part of the song that everybody knows.  The organist started playing the song from the beginning.  The beginning of the song, As Seen Here with some absolutely astounding outfits being worn.  


Let's be honest...what's weird is how quickly you recognized it.  


Granted, that was a little strange.  At first, I thought it was the Pennsylvania Polka, which would have made even less sense during a hockey game in Illinois, but quickly realized that I was mistaken.  

Either way, I'm not sure how I feel about this song being used as hockey music.  We've discussed this sort of thing before, specifically about awful songs that most certainly do not make good hockey music, but we've never specifically discussed polkas.  I guess I just never expected it to come up, really.  I guess as long as everybody enjoys it, go for it, Blackhawks organist, Frank Pellico!  Roll out that barrel! 


Jeremy Is In The Office will be Out Of The Office on monday in observance of Memorial Day.  Enjoy your holiday and we'll see you all on Tuesday. 

No comments: