Tuesday, May 6, 2014

It's A Pretty Big Store



Contrary to what the commercial said, my grocery store doesn’t have a “Potato Aisle”


Well, certainly they sell potatoes.  Aren't they in an aisle?


Of course my grocery store sells potatoes.  They're in the Produce Section, roughly never referred to as "The Potato Aisle."  However, today's rant deals with something a little more specific.  

I saw a commercial recently for pre-packaged home fries that you dump in a pan, fry to a crispy golden brown and enjoy.  I've actually had them before, and they are pretty good.  I won't take that away from them.  They're made by a company that, for strictly blag purposes, we'll call "Famished John."  This company makes a variety of potato-based (or is that potatoe-based?) foods, ranging from mashed potatoes to scalloped potatoes to au gratin potatoes to au gratin potatoes with bacon...you get the idea.  If you go to your local grocery store, all of "Famished John"'s products can be found within 5 feet of each other, since they're all the same genre of foods.  In my store, they're found in an aisle which also contains Asian cooking products, Latin cooking products, rice, beans, salsa, tortillas, every canned vegetable (save tomatoes), and Spam.  If I had to give a name to this aisle, I wouldn't be able to do it, since the variety of items defies a single naming convention.  The store got it right, calling it "Aisle 7.**"

**I don't actually know if it's Aisle 7 or a slightly different number.  I'm guessing here a little bit, but my point remains valid.

At no point in this determination had it ever crossed my mind to refer to this aisle as the "Famished Jack Aisle."  "Famished John"''s items make up less than 8.3% of the overall available products in the aisle, not even a plurality, as that title would almost certainly go to that soup company that makes all of those pre-packaged noodle and rice sides, or else "Shrub"'s Baked Beans, simply due to sheer variety of beans and mixtures thereof.  There is more shelf space in this aisle devoted to salsa than there is to "Famished Jack."  To try to convince somebody to refer to this aisle as the "Famished John" aisle would be ambitious at best, hyperbole at worst.  

Yet, there they are at the end of the commercial.  The nice folks at the potato factory, telling me to look for their products "In the 'Famous John' Aisle."  This is a reach, folks.  This is a little too self-serving for me.  Do they either expect me to believe that I should be referring to an aisle of the grocery store that contains hundreds of products by the brand name of half a dozen of them, or do they believe that there are stores out there that carry so many of their products that they actually take up an entire aisle?  I'd almost like to see that store...I like potatoes. 

No comments: