Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Yes, Reader. I'm Pointing At Us.



I always point at people when I tell them they’re awesome.  That way, there are always three fingers pointing back at me


I don't think that's how the saying goes...


Sure, the whole point of the phrase is to demean somebody for being negative.  But isn't there a little bit of irony in pointing out the fault in somebody pointing out the fault in somebody else?  I prefer to take the tired old phrase and turn it around into something positive and more optimistic.  I'm also fantastic at being modest.  

Anyway...you've all heard somebody say that you should never point fingers, because there's three other fingers pointing back at you.  As if to insinuate that I'm always to blame when I realize that somebody else screwed up.  That always seemed a little wrong to me, but I guess it works for congress.    So I had always used a slightly different loophole when finger-pointing.  I would instead gesture with my entire hand.  That way, there weren't any fingers pointing back at me when I wasn't the one who fouled things up in the first place.  

Now, I've gone and usurped this little cliche for my own affirmative purposes...and let's be honest, for the truth.  I can certainly accept that there are other awesome people in the world, so I am not loathe to point out their awesomeness to them.  I will point at them, say "You're awesome!" and truly mean it.  But, of course, those other three fingers are pointed right back at myself.  After all, if I'm going to take 3 times the blame for when they suck, I'm going to take 3 times the credit when they're awesome.  


Speaking of awesome...


Yeah, it's pretty awesome that I'm able to type this to you right now.  My computer is on life-support at the moment, functioning minute-by-minute until I get a new hard drive delivered.   I don't know when I'll be getting that, or how much I'll be able to use this thing until the next BSOD, so I'd better post this while I can. 

No comments: