Monday, October 14, 2013

How About It, Kellogg's?



How can there be two different sizes of Mini Wheats? 


They're all the same.  Some of them just haven't grown up all the way yet.


I have a confession to make.  Today's Sametime Status is incorrect.  I wrote it this morning without full knowledge of what I was talking about, and I made an error.  It happens, let's move on. 

There are three different sizes of Mini Wheats. 

So, I don't eat cereal very often, but it happens on occasion.  I don't have a specific cereal that I always get...it very much depends on what kind of mood I was in the last time I was in the grocery store.  Sometimes it's Raisin Bran (The kind with the little crunchies in it, not just the regular stuff), sometimes it's Frosted Flakes, sometimes Peanut Butter Puffs...I vary.  I have no idea at what point in my life I realized that Frosted Mini Wheats were good, but it happened somewhere along the way.  I also can't accurately recall the last time I bought a box of Frosted Mini Wheats, but I can guarantee you it has been several years.  Unlike Frosted Flakes or Cocoa Pebbles, which haven't changed in seemingly forever, I was unprepared for the fact that Frosted Mini Wheats now came in a ludicrous number of varieties. 

There are Brown Sugar ones, Maple Brown Sugar ones, Blueberry, Strawberry, Raspberry, Mixed Berry, Cinnamon...who knows what else.  I'm okay with adding flavors to the cereal, since it doesn't change the nature of the product, just adds a little variety.  But when I looked back at the row of boxes to make sure I had grabbed regular plain old Frosted Mini Wheats, I saw another, redder box of regular plain old Frosted Mini Wheats (For the record, my box was orange).  Both boxes said Frosted Mini Wheats.  Both boxes said "Regular."    So why was my box different?  Well, unbeknownst to me, Mini Wheats now came in multiple sizes, and mine weren't the regular size.  

So, now, in addition to having Mini Wheats, we have Mini Wheats "Little Bites" and Mini Wheats "Big Bites."  This is nonsense.  I'm an engineer, and we engineers deal in both precision and standards.  Once the standard for "Mini" has been set, you can't simply change it all willy-nilly.  Mini is a very specific size of Wheat, and if you are going to shift gears and make a completely different size of Wheat, you can no longer call it "Mini."  Especially if it's considerably larger, then it's just "Wheat."  Except for the fact that the standard for "Shredded Wheat" has also already been established, and It's Monstrous.  So maybe we jumped the gun on the whole "Mini Wheat" concept, and should have left ourselves with something a little more granular to describe the size of our Wheat?  Either way, you can't just go around making different sizes of Mini Wheat and still call it Mini Wheat.

No comments: