Tuesday, November 27, 2012

There's A Bathroom On The Right


If Willy and the Poor Boys are playing down on the corner, why am I supposed to stay here and listen to CCR? 


Uhm....do Willy and the Poor Boys actually exist, or are they just from the song lyrics?


I quite honestly have no idea, and I can't be bothered to look it up.

Anyway, like many songs sung my CCR, or more generally John Fogerty, I have no idea what the lyrics actually are.   I've even gone so far as to look up the lyrics to "Down On The Corner" several times and every time I hear the song, I'm still hopelessly lost.  I was once again reminded that the song is talking about the musical group "Willy and the Poor Boys" who are playing music down on the corner...and apparently out in the street. 

While this is a remarkably unsafe place for an impromptu concert, I feel the need to go listen to them.  I mean...come on...their music is apparently so good that other musical groups write songs about them.  This doesn't happen very often, particularly in the genre of hip-hop where the artists spend the vast majority of their time talking about how they, themselves, are the best rapper despite the lack of empirical evidence.  So I'm left with CCR singing incoherently about somebody else having a concert not far away.  This is akin to NBC airing a commercial for a show running on CBS at the same time...it makes no sense from NBC's or CCR's point of view.  It seems to actually encourage people to leave to find alternate sources of entertainment, either down on the corner, or down on the other channel.  I don't get it.  Or maybe we're all still hearing the words wrong...with Fogerty, you can never tell. 

No comments: