Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Heh Heh...Duty...


It would be a total waste to not vote today after being forced to listen to all those commercials


The second greatest of all days has arrived!  Election Day!  Not because we get to witness the majesty that is the democratic process, but because we can finally and mercifully stop hearing all of the crap about the campaign everywhere we turn.  


Right you are.  I do wonder what the internets are going to do now, though...the news channel web pages and Facebook won't have any political garbage to post for at least 6 months before the next campaign begins.  

Anyway...today, I bring you a message about doing your civic duty.   That duty, of course, is voting.  My message is a little different than most, though...as I'm urging you not to vote unless you know what you're voting for.  If you plan on voting against one guy strictly because he was born in Kenya...don't vote.  If you plan on voting against the other guy strictly because you think his religion is a cult...don't vote.  If your plan is to vote for everybody on one side of the ballot because "I'm a democrat" or "I'm a republican," for the love of all things good and plenty, don't vote.  If you actually have an even rudimentary understanding of the handful of issues where the two candidates actually differ substantially, by all means vote.  I'm not here to tell you which guy is right and which is wrong.  That's up to you.  What I am here to tell you is that if you're going to vote and impact my life with your choices...be informed about it.  Also, no...CNN and Fox News are not informing you of anything.  (I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I saw an article on Fox News that had in big red letters before the headline "BIAS ALERT" informing me that CNN was biased.)  

My other message today is this.  Hyperbole is the worst thing ever to happen in the history of politics.  (See what I did there?)  We've been led to believe that we're at some sort of historical crossroads, that we're about to fall off a cliff, and that this is the most important election in the history of the country.  It's not.  Make no mistake about that...it's not.  No matter who wins today's election, the world will go on turning.  Understand that whoever wins the election genuinely loves this country and wants to see it, and everyone in it, succeed.  Sure, you may not agree with their vision of how that's going to happen, but nobody is running for office in order to make you fail.  Just because one of the candidates doesn't specifically have YOU in mind when coming up with a policy for 300 million people doesn't mean that he's against you or that he's going to destroy the country.  You have a disagreement.  In a country of 300 million people, you're going to have to agree to disagree quite often, and the other side is not necessarily the root of all evil because of it.  

One last thing...if you've already voted today, and you voted against the guy I voted for...thanks a lot, jerk.  You just cancelled out my vote and we both could have just stayed in bed.  Let me know, next time!  

No comments: