Friday, November 9, 2012

Dudes Already Know About Chickens


Here’s a Fun Fact!  Coastal Carolina University’s mascot is a very specific fictional chicken


Was it Colonel Sanders's chicken by any chance?  


Sadly, no...though I'm sure that chicken is more of a national hero.  The official mascot of Coastal Carolina University is the "Chanticleers," named after the anthropomorphic rooster from Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tales."  I was forced to read this book in an English class at some point back and it's made so much of an impact on my life, I can't even remember what this particular tale was about.  

As a general rule, every book I was ever forced to read for an English class sucked.  My teachers and professors seemed to have an uncanny ability to thrust literature upon their classes that was in no way beneficial to me.  I did not develop a love of literature, or a desire to read other "classics" through these examples...I merely learned whimsical tidbits.  For example, I have learned that Nathaniel Hawthorne was paid by the word to write his books, which explains their remarkably overwritten length.  I've learned that The Canterbury Tales were never finished, and the main plot set up the cast for some ridiculous number of stories, a small fraction of which were ever written.  I recognized the hero's name from Crime and Punishment when it came up recently.  And I've learned that I never need to waste any part of my life on anything that has to do with Jane Austen ever again, with or without Kiera Knightley. 

I also recognized the name Chanticleer from The Canterbury Tales as being some talking chicken.  I really don't know what he did, but apparently it was good enough to name a football team after.  Go fightin' fictional chickens! 

No comments: