Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Don't Ask Where My Computer Was


When coming to work, an ID Badge is much more useful than a garage door opener


In most cases, I'm sure that's true.  But what if you work in a garage?


 Valid point, but I don't work in a garage.  I work in an office which requires employees to scan an ID badge in order to enter the building.  I know this.  I also have a garage at my house which requires clicking a button in order to open the door.  I know this as well.  

To facilitate going in to work, I have one of the aforementioned ID badges.  It stays in my car, locked safely away when I'm not at work.  It stays there so that I don't forget to bring it with me and have to drive back home to get it.  Smart.  

To facilitate going home, I have a remote control for the garage door.  This was all well and good until I got a car which could be programmed to mimic the door controls.  Once I got that set up, I had no need for the remote, but wanted to keep it around just in case, so I tucked it away in the little storage bin in my car that also contains my work ID badge.  There's plenty of room for both, and it's out of the way, so I don't have to think about it.  Smart.  

I keep my work ID badge on a lanyard that I got as a piece of corporate swag from one of my suppliers.  83% of all ID badge lanyards at my office were obtained this way.  On occasion, the lanyard itself gets caught up in the clip for the garage door opener and the remote comes along for the ride when being pulled out of the storage compartment in the car.  Not usually a problem, I free the remote and re-stow it.  In a recent case, my brain didn't work As Well As It Usually Does and as I grasped the conglomerate lanyard/garage door opener, I thought to myself, "I don't need all this."  I disconnected the remote from the lanyard and tossed the lanyard back in the storage and set off to work holding my garage door opener.  Not smart. 

No comments: