Friday, February 3, 2012

Take That, "The Man"!


I like when things cost $3.59.  I pay with a 20


 Interesting...how often does that happen?


Not very often.  I get the 59 cents portion of it, but sadly, not so much the full $3.59.  


So why is $3.59 so special?


Because it allows me to get full value from my cashier experience.  

Lately, cashiers have it easy.  Most of the time, the customer is doing all the work themselves, what with swiping their own credit card, typing in their own pin number, and picking up their own receipt.  In some places (particularly grocery stores and large, autonomous home improvement stores) they've done away with the cashier entirely, and I have to scan all my own stuff and bag it, then pay and collect my receipt.  Of course, this process goes perfectly about 17% of the time.  The remainder of the times, and I don't feel like doing the math, somebody has to come over and fix the machine before I can continue.  This is annoying.  

So, I like to make sure that cashiers are doing as much as possible while they're working.  Everybody wins.  They don't get bored, and I get to have my fun.


What's so fun about that?


Simple!  If I pay for a $3.59 tab with a 20-dollar bill, I get $16.41 in change.  This is most commonly manifested as one 10-dollar bill, one 5-dollar bill, one 1-dollar bill, one quarter, one dime, one nickel, and one penny.  The cashier will have to go through every compartment of their drawer to give me the minimum amount of change.  It's a minor victory, but a victory nonetheless. 

No comments: