Thursday, August 11, 2011

Lather...Rinse...OBEY!

Alright, Cable Company. It's on!


Again with the cable company? Haven't they figured out how this works yet?


Apparently not. So, you may remember A While Ago, I used a brilliant negotiating technique to score a sweet deal from the cable company (which, for strictly Blag purposes, we'll call "CordSight") in which they gave me an extra year of an "Introductory Price" for their services. One of their services, I still really don't need.

Anyway, so that year has come and gone, so they sent me their annual letter informing me that my introductory price is going away, so my cable costs are about to be jacked up. I got this letter the day after I scheduled a service appointment because their internet service has been a pretty wonky lately. Bad timing on their part.

I call up the company to disconnect the phone service in order to save money once the rates go up (This process has become old hat for me at this point). The customer service person acted like their company was about to run over my dog (I don't have a dog), and started apologizing and looking for ways to help me save money that didn't involve disconnecting the phone. Why they really really want me to have this service, I'm not entirely sure, but since it works out in my favor, I'm not going to argue. She quickly realizes that I've been a customer for some time, and that I have this special introductory rate. In past years, the solution has been to simply extend the introductory price again, but in this case, apparently, that wasn't going far enough. This time, she offered to extend my introductory price for another year, and throw in a free year of a premium movie channel that for strictly Blag purposes, let's call "PresentationChronology." There are at least 2 shows on that channel that I'm familiar with and/or make otherwise perfectly legal attempts to watch, so I'll go along for the ride.

Next year, around this time, I'll be calling up to disconnect the phone and "PresentationChronology" so maybe they'll be forced to cough up a year of "DomicileTicketBooth" as well.


And back to the original point of today's Sametime Status?


Oh yeah...today was the day I had scheduled my service appointment. For the second time in as many attempts, they called in the morning to say there was a service problem in the entire neighborhood, and they didn't need to have a technician come to my house. I was at least amused when the guy showed up outside my house to check the wiring at the pole, and then immediately proceed to my neighbor's driveway to check in on their service appointment.

No comments: