Thursday, July 23, 2009

That seems unsafe

Forget the beetles. I'm moving my firewood.


But the commercial specifically told you not to move your firewood.


Yes, but since I don't get it, I'm not going to follow it.


Then the beetles win.


A new radio commercial has come into vogue lately about beetles. It's akin to the PSA's that still run in my old college town about saving the Black-Footed Ferret and the prairie dogs from extinction. The bottom line here is that you're not supposed to move your firewood. In fact, you're supposed to go to their website and electronically "sign" a pledge saying that you won't move your firewood.

I don't know about you, but when I'm making a fire, I tend to move it to a fire pit rather than lighting a tree right in place. I think this new anti-beetle message conflicts with Smokey the Bear telling me that only I can prevent forest fires.

The best part about Their Website is that they have a counter so the world knows how many people in each state have "signed" the pledge. The counter has 9 digits, which seems quite optimistic considering the highest state population is California with just under 37 Million People...and it's not even in the area that needs to be concerned about the Emerald Ash Borer Beetle. At least according to their own map. Also, even though I didn't select a state, the current counter was somewhere around 9000.

No comments: