Tuesday, December 18, 2007

In Chicago, it's just "Pizza"

Did you know that in Canada, they still call it “Canadian Bacon?” I have no idea why it’s not just "Bacon."


An interesting, albeit useless point.


Perhaps. I thought of this a while ago, while watching a hockey game...


Never would have guessed.


The game was in Toronto, so I was watching the CBC broadcast of the game. They had a commercial for McDonalds, or Tim Horton's or some other place that serves breakfast sandwiches, I forget which. Anyway, their sandwich came with an egg, cheese, and Canadian Bacon. This seemed strange to me, that in Canada it would still be referred to as "Canadian" bacon. Seems to me that when you're in Canada, it would be called bacon, and what we in the States call bacon be called "American Bacon." Ever have toast in France?


Can't say that I have.


Well, me either, but I'm willing to bet that it's more than warmed bread with a little butter.


What do they call fried potato strings?


I'm sure I don't know.


**Blagger's Note: I actually intended to run this message about 2 weeks ago, but decided not to. Since it wasn't Kosher, I didn't think it made sense to run it during Hanukkah.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

I often get into this argument with my wife. She insists that prosciutto is not bacon, as if being called "bacon" brings it down from whatever italian food pedestal it's on. It comes from a pig. It's smoked. How is that not just a bacon variation? So I call it Italian Bacon, because I can't pronounce "Prosciutto" anyway. She gets annoyed because I say italian words "wrong". Wrong? I say them American, what's wrong about America? I mean, she's third generation Italian for god's sake. Speak english, woman! Assimilate, already!

And as Dave Barry would say, "Bacon Variation" would be a great name for a band.

This has been "a window into Jeff's marriage" brought to you by AT&T.