Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Like Many Others, This Post Stinks



That last bit of toothpaste lasts longer than you think it does  


The bit that I put on the toothbrush lasts about as long as it takes to brush my teeth.


We all have our own little internal clocks for various things.  You know about when it's time to wake up, how long it takes you to do certain things, when birthdays and holidays are coming up, how much longer you have to work on a Friday afternoon before you can say "ah screw the whole thing" and go home for the weekend.  You also know when you have to buy certain necessities.  

Most people don't have to buy stuff like garbage bags and paper towels every time they go to the grocery store, but you have a sense for when you're about to run out.  It's not such a big deal, because it's not the end of the world if you run out of these things.  Toilet paper may be a bit more of an issue, and it's certainly not a great thing if you run out of deodorant before you expect to, but most things you can get away with a day or two without.  But you get the point...you generally know if you're running out of something and need to pick it up next time you're at the store.  

With that in mind, not too long ago, I faced down the Wall O' Toothpaste at my local grocery, believing that my current tube of toothpaste was on its last legs.  That is to say that the bulk of the think had been squeezed out, and just that little bit at the business end remained.  

What I didn't realize, apparently, is just how long that little bit at the business end planned on sticking around.  I assure you I continues to brush my teeth regularly, but even though I have a brand new tube of toothpaste ready to go, I haven't had to break it open yet, because I still have plenty left in the old one.  I have no delusions that this is a magic tube that will never run out, but it strikes me just how far off I was in my estimation on how much longer it would hold on.  I'm a little excited to move on to the new one.  

Now, if only I had remembered to buy deodorant...

No comments: