Monday, September 26, 2016

It's A Struggle



Strangely, I’m not debating whether or not to watch the debate  


Isn't it your civic duty to be an informed voter?  You should pay attention to the goings on and not about the rampant partisan-based hatred drivel posted on the internets.  


So instead of listening to partisan-based hatred drivel posted on the internets, I should listen to partisan-based hatred drivel spouted off by candidates in a controlled timed setting during which it has already been stated, claims will not be fact-checked in real time?  I don't see how this is an improvement.

So, if you're a regular reader of the Blag here, you are probably aware that I have more than a passing familiarity with politics and the relevant politicians of the day.  You may or may not be aware of my political leanings, which are not relevant at the moment.  My primary concern in matters of politics is a heretofore fruitless endeavor to stop the spread of misinformation in non-politico circles when it comes to election education.  By that, I mean people posting and believing blatant partisan garbage that finds its way to my Facebook and Twitter feeds.  Stop it.  


I don't think that's going to quite do it, Jeremy. 


Yeah, probably not.  There are still way too many people who despise the two options we have for President this year for there to be any sort of curtailing of the drivel.  So what we're going to have is way too many people watching the debate, pretending they know what each candidate stands for because of that pithy post they saw some partisan group post on Facebook.  They'll watch with anxious anticipation for the person they hate to say something, at which point, they'll scream at the TV that the candidate is lying, ignore everything that they have to say and agree with the candidate they hate less, regardless of what they say.  
I don't see why I need to waste a couple hours of my life tonight to watch this. 

No comments: