Friday, March 11, 2016

The Backwards R Is Okay For Some



If you want me to take your toys seriously, you can’t spell toys with a Z  


What about overusing the letter X like X-Treme Toyz!  


Yeah, also not a good way to get me to take you seriously.  Also, selling toys.  

See, toys are by their very nature not serious items.  They are for fun and frivolity.  It is that exact fact that makes them toys.  You play with them.  Or, at least, you're supposed to.  A problem arises when toys become "collectors items" because people say they're collectors items in order to get people to pay exorbitant prices for them.  

Granted, there are certain toys which I would consider buying now that I wanted when I was a kid.  A Gen 1 Jet Fire Transformer, for example.  It sold for about 30 bucks back when I wanted one, and now auctions for somewhere in the $1500 range, depending on the condition.  Therein lies the rub.  If I bought it back then, I would have played with it, broken it, and it would be worth significantly less than 1500 dollars now.  In all honesty, it would probably be in a dump somewhere along with the rest of my Transformers...I'm assuming.  

All of this aside, there really is a very real collector's market for vintage toys, particularly in great or mint condition.  There are stores which specialize in them, a guy who goes on that Pawn Shop show who claims to know the appropriate retail value of any toy you show him, collectors, and auctions.  It's a little nutty, and not something I really need to spend a lot of time or money dealing with.  One of these collectors and auctioneers whose name I won't reprint exactly here, claims to be serious about their toys.  They're just not serious about their spelling of toys, since they spell it "toyz."  How am I supposed to take you seriously if you use a ridiculous spelling of the very thing you claim to be serious about?  I get it, you're hip and edgy because you use a z instead of an s.  But you're selling vintage toys, which are the very opposite of hip and edgy.  They're old and nostalgic.  You are one fallacy after another, so I can't see my way clear toward spending money on your toyz.  

I'm serious. 

No comments: